Good to know about Llucmajor
Llucmajor is the largest municipality (in terms of surface area) of the Balearic Island Majorca. There are sixteen towns in the district, including the town of Llucmajor and parts of s’Arenal, Cala Blava and Cala Pí.
The town of Llucmajor, which has a population of 9,312 inhabitants, is the capital of the municipality. It is about 15 km (9.3 mi) southeast of Palma Airport, at the foot (about 4 km southwest) of Puig de Randa mountain on the road from Palma to Santanyí. Since the town is also about 15 km (9.3 mi) from the coast, it is not especially geared towards tourists.
The first church in Llucmajor was erected in 1259. In 1300 it was elevated to “villa” by James II of Majorca. The most important historical event in connection with the town is the Battle of Llucmajor, where in 1349 Peter IV of Aragon defeated his cousin James III of Majorca, resulting in the end of the independent Kingdom of Majorca. James was killed on the battlefield northeast of the city. He was first buried in the parish church of the town. Today his grave is located in the cathedral of Palma.
In the 20th century Llucmajor developed into a center for shoemaking and so achieved a degree of prosperity.
Llucmajor town is a solid manufacturing town that specialises mainly in shoes. The town economy also relies on tourism.
- Town hall
- Church of San Miguel from the 18th century on the Plaça Santa Catalina Tomàs
- Memorial for James III on the Passeig Jaume III
- Shoemakers’ memorial at the western town gate